Consumers burning highly-scented jar candles should always remember to maintain their wicks at 1/4″ before and during a burning session. Prior to a burning session the wicks should be trimmed, preferably with a wick trimmer that collects the trimmings in a self-contained dish and allows for easy disposal.
Properly maintained wicks will result in medium sized flames and little or no emission of smoke and soot. If the flames appear too small and one or both wicks will not stay lit, do not despair. The candle can easily be repaired and revived.
The following two scenarios usually account for a candle that will not stay lit for the recommended burn time of 4 hours or less.
When a highly-scented candle has been left to burn for 6-8 hours or more, the heat from the melt pool can strip the wicks of their wax coating, leaving them unstable and causing them to collapse.
When wicks are trimmed too short, the result is very small flames, and one or both wicks may not stay lit. If a consumer feels comfortable reviving a mismanaged candle, they may follow these easy steps to repair it:
1. Light the wicks and let the candle burn for as long as possible to develop a melt pool.
2. Carefully test the jar temperature to make sure it is cool enough to handle (if a candle is in need of reviving, it will not develop a full melt pool, and the small amount of melted wax will not cause the jar to become hot).
3. Even though the jar shouldn’t feel hot to the touch, please handle with care and spoon out 2-3 tablespoons of liquid or soft wax evenly from the top of the candle. When the candle has completely cooled, the wicks should appear longer, as the wax level has gone down. Trim the tops of the wicks (not too short) and straighten if necessary.
4. Re-light and enjoy!